Easy Spicy Kale Chips – these kale chips have a bit of heat and are perfectly crispy! This easy recipe is a wonderful low carb, healthy snack that is vegan too!
So kale chips have been around for years now and I’ve only finally gotten around to making them. Ok, that’s a bit of a lie… I did try making them once around four or five years ago and they sucked. I didn’t get around to making them again until just the other day and honestly I wish I had tried again a lot sooner!
These are so good, you guys. I pretty much ate the entire pan all by myself. However, unlike eating an entire bag of chips by myself I don’t feel guilty eating all of these! Veggies for the win! I think I’m going to need to keep these on hand all the time so that I can reach for them when I get a craving for a salty snack. I’m probably biased here but these may just be the best kale chips you’ll ever have.
I am too exhausted today to think of any other little anecdotes for you so I’m going to get straight to describing how to make these easy spicy kale chips!
First off, you’ll need to cut the stalks off from the kale. They’re not so delicious compared to the leafy bits so don’t use those for these chips! Trust me.
Next, rip or cut the leafy parts into medium sized pieces, wash them and then dry them. Here is the important part: Be sure to dry them thoroughly or your chips will not get crispy!!! Seriously. Who wants soggy chips?
Not me, that’s who. (I’m guessing you probably don’t either…)
I dried mine in a salad spinner, you can also spread them out and pat dry with a towel, or apparently you can blow dry them. Which honestly sounds a bit weird to me (wouldn’t the blow around all over the place?) but according to the internet that’s a thing.
Next up you massage the kale with the olive right. THAT’S RIGHT. I’m not just saying this for fun, massaging kale helps remove some of the bitterness it tends to otherwise have. Rub the oil into the leaves for a couple of minutes, sprinkle on the seasonings and them rub those in a bit, trying to get it on all the leaves.
After massaging the kale with the oil and seasonings, lay the leaves out on a prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Then you bake them at 300°F for about 15 minutes (all ovens will be different) and then after they cool you get to enjoy this tasty, healthy snack!
That’s it for today folks… I’m going to go make another pan of these!
If you try this recipe for easy spicy kale chips please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, post on the Zest & Simmer Facebook page or share photos on Instagram using the hashtag #zestandsimmer. I’d love to see it and I always love hearing from you guys!
Easy Spicy Kale Chips
- 4 cups kale leaves
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp sea salt , or up to 1/4 tsp if you prefer them saltier
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Remove leaves from the stalks of the kale. Rip or cut leaves into medium sized pieces. Wash, then thoroughly dry the kale leaves before continuing to the next step.
- Place kale leaves in a bowl and drizzle on the olive oil. Massage the oil into the leaves with your hands for about 2 minutes. This helps remove the bitterness from the kale. Sprinkle on all of your seasonings and rub into the leaves.
- Spread leaves onto the baking sheet into a single layer. Bake kale for about 10 minutes, rotate pan and bake for another 5 minutes, watching very closely. As all ovens are different some may cook quicker or longer than others. Allow chips to cool before enjoying.