Cranberry Feta Pinwheels – a tasty make ahead holiday appetizer! Creamy feta filling with sweet dried cranberries are the perfect salty sweet combo that are sure to be a hit at your next party!
‘Tis the season for lots and lots of tasty food! Whether it be cookies, cheesy appetizers or a tall glass of eggnog, you are certain to never be out of delicious things to chew on at this time of year. I could easily make a dinner out of appetizers and small desserts, what about you?
We have a “goodie day” on my floor at work every December which is basically a big potluck. There are so many delicious things every time, and I’ve easily stuffed myself for lunch with all the awesome choices. I’m really looking forward to this years as I am excited to see what everyone makes! If you have a similar event, either at work or perhaps a holiday potluck party, I think these would make a wonderful addition to the table!
Since the holiday season is here, I wanted to make something festive and fun! Enter these Cranberry Feta Pinwheels. Whipped feta and cream cheese, with red cranberries and green onions brings the classic holiday colours into this appetizer. For extra festiveness, wrap the filling with either red or green tortillas – I did a little bit of both (though the only spinach tortillas I could find were not super green).
The combination of the flavours is something I absolutely loved! The saltiness of the feta cheese was nicely contrasted by the sweet dried cranberries. Another thing to love about these – how easy they are to make – it literally takes only minutes, and these can easily be prepped up to 24 hours ahead of time.
A few tips on making these cranberry feta pinwheels – you definitely want to make sure your cream cheese is softened before mixing with the other ingredients so that it is smooth and mixes evenly with the feta. You can mix these by hand if you want, but I find using a hand mixer gets a smoother finish which makes it much easier to spread the filling. Spread the filling evenly over the entire tortilla but leave a small border around the edge to prevent them from overflowing (see image below!). When rolling, you want to roll them as tight as possible and then tightly wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate before cutting and serving.
Now here’s to a month of indulging in all of the delicious eats!
Let me know what you think!
If you try this recipe for cranberry feta pinwheels please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, post on the Zest & Simmer Facebook page or share photos on Instagram using the hashtag #zestandsimmer. I’d love to see it and I always love hearing from you guys! I’d love to see it and I always love hearing from you guys!
Cranberry Feta Pinwheels
- 3 10-inch tortillas red (tomato) or green (spinach) for festive colours
- 8 oz cream cheese , softened
- 1 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- In a medium sized bowl, using an electric hand mixer, cream together the cream cheese and feta until smooth. You can mix by hand but an electric hand mixer will give a smoother, more spreadable finish.
- Stir in dried cranberries and green onion until evenly distributed.
- Spread 1/3 of the filling out over one tortilla, leaving a small border around the edge to prevent them from overflowing. Tightly roll up the tortilla, and then wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Repeat process with the two other tortillas. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Slice the rolled tortillas into 1 inch slices and serve.