Hot Chocolate Cookies – These are like a cup of hot cocoa in cookie form! Rich chocolatey cookies topped with mini marshmallows will become a new holiday favourite.
Oh my gosh you guys, I am so excited because Christmas baking season is FINALLY HERE! Let the holiday baking begin! All the goodies we get to enjoy is pretty much one of the best parts about this time of year. Eating delicious things has to be the BEST tradition, amiright? Goodbye self control, it’s time to indulge a little!
Let me ask, do you have your Christmas tree up yet? We put ours up a bit over a week ago and I am loving it. The soft glow of the tree in the corner, and the cute decorations, not to mention the delicious Christmas-y smells… I just love curling up on the couch with a cup of hot chocolate and taking it all in.
I love all the different choices one has when it comes to Christmas baking, and I am pleased to let you know that I will have a few recipes coming up in the next couple weeks that will be perfect for your holiday parties, cookie exchanges, and homemade gift giving!
First up are these hot chocolate cookies, which taste wondrously like a warming cup of hot cocoa! There isn’t anything much better than curling up on the couch with a nice cozy blanket with a mug of hot cocoa with the one you love, is there? Especially when you load up on the marshmallows!
I’m a sucker for marshmallows and chocolate together, so you know these are my weakness. These cookies have a nice rich chocolatey taste and are topped with gooey mini marshmallows, which are especially good when served fresh and warm out of the oven.
To make these hot chocolate cookies you want to partially melt the butter before you start. I find having partially melted butter makes for great soft cookies! Be careful not to overdo it and fully melt the butter – about half should still be a bit solid. Depending on your microwave, I would say 20-30 seconds should do the trick. Next you cream the butter together with the sugars, then mix in the egg and vanilla. In another bowl you’ll whisk together the dry ingredients which are flour, baking soda, cocoa and salt. Then you combine the wet and dry mixtures together, add in your chocolate chips, form the dough into balls and bake for 10 minutes!
Now here is where the marshmallows come in. After 10 minutes, you’ll want to remove the cookies from the oven, then quickly and gently press in 3-4 mini marshmallows into each cookie. The reason we wait to add the marshmallows is so that they don’t completely melt into the cookie and disappear – trust me on this. Then, put those cookies back into the oven for another two minutes, and voila! Freshly baked cookies are at your fingertips.
How could anyone not love these hot chocolate cookies, especially if you serve them with a nice cold glass of milk. Or, you could serve them with a huge mug of hot cocoa for an extra chocolatey treat!
If you try this recipe for hot chocolate cookies please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, post on the Zest & Simmer Facebook page or share photos on Instagram using the hashtag #zestandsimmer. I’d love to see it and I always love hearing from you guys!
Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper or use silicone mats.
- Partially melt butter in a microwave safe dish in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Approximately half should still be slightly solid. In a large bowl cream together the butter and the two sugars with an electric hand mixer for about 2 minutes. Mix in egg and vanilla until fully combined.
- In a second large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt. Add dry mixture to the wet mixture, and mix with the electric hand mixer until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Form dough into small balls, approximately 1" each and place on cookie sheet with 12 dough balls per sheet.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes. Remove from oven then quickly and gently press 3-4 marshmallows into each cookie. Return cookies to oven and make for another 2 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.