Broiled Rum Spice Grapefruit – rum poured over grapefruit halves, which are sprinkled with a spiced sugar mixture before broiling. Break through the caramelized topping to enjoy the tart-sweetness of the grapefruit! Delicious as breakfast or dessert.
It is a pretty great coincidence that citrus season just happens to fall in the dead and winter, which could also be considered cold and flu season. As I sit here typing while fighting off a bad cold, I am glad that I have some fresh citrus at its peak here at home.
I’ve never been a huge fan of grapefruit. I never disliked it, but it just wasn’t my favourite of the citrus family. I much prefer oranges, lemons and limes, thank you very much. But then I read about broiled grapefruit, with its sugary crust and I just knew that I had to try it this way.
I think it is safe to say that I am now a fan!
This is so easy I am almost embarrassed to call it a recipe. The hint of rum in this recipe adds an intensity of flavour, and almost is like you’re sipping a tropical drink. The spiced, caramelized sugar crust gives way to cool tart-sweet segments of grapefruit. These few extra ingredients and some time under the broiler make regular grapefruit not so boring anymore.
This broiled rum spice grapefruit can be served as a lovely breakfast, or as a healthier dessert option. I love it any time really!
TIPS FOR MAKING BROILED RUM SPICE GRAPEFRUIT
- Keep an eye on it as its broiling! Depending on your broiler, the sugar may caramelize very quickly or may take a few minutes. Not all broilers are the same, so its best to keep watch to prevent things from burning.
- Take the time to segment the grapefruit from the membrane. Yes, its an extra step but it will make it easier to scoop out that deliciousness after its sat under the broiler!
- If you’re not into the sweet and spicy combination, skip the cayenne pepper.
Its amazing what a few spices and some sugar can do to elevate the taste of grapefruit! This is the best time of year to enjoy this recipe, while the citrus fruit is in season! But its good any time really and I know I’ll be enjoying it often.
If you make this broiled rum spice grapefruit please let me know! You can leave a comment below, rate it, post on the Zest & Simmer Facebook page or share photos on Instagram with the hashtag #zestandsimmer. I am always thrilled to hear from you!
Broiled Rum Spice Grapefruit
- 1 grapefruit , halved
- 2 tsp rum (or rum extract)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- Using a small knife, loosen the grapefruit segments from the membrane. Place grapefruit halves face up on a baking sheet. Pour half of the rum over each grapefruit half.
- In small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon and cayenne. Dive the sugar mixture evenly over the grapefruit halves.
- Turn on broiler and place grapefruit in the oven. Broiler for approximately 4-5 minutes, until the sugar bubbling and slightly browned . (Be sure to keep a constant eye on it as it is broiling. All broilers are different, and yours may take less or more time to caramelize. You don't want it to burn!)
- Serve grapefruit warm, with a dollop of yogurt if desired.