Buffalo Chicken Dip – an easy hot dip perfect for potlucks, parties and game days! Spicy, creamy and cheesy, it is delicious served up with chips, celery and carrot sticks.
Hello 2020! The start of a new decade has me excited for all the possibilities of the next ten years. It’s crazy to think that the past ten years flew by quicker than I ever imagined they would. Ten years ago I was 18 years old and in my first year of university. Here I am, a decade later, having graduated nearly six years ago and been in my marketing career for five years. This blog was started almost three years ago and has allowed me a creative outlet that I am so proud of. This blog may be small, I still have a lot to learn, not to mention a lot of work to do, but even so I am still proud that I made this.
So cheers to the New Year, to a new decade, and to the future. Now lets get to what you are all really here for – the food!
January is a time of year that I am generally not too fond of. It is typically absolutely freezing here in Winnipeg, and I am not the outdoorsy type when it is that cold. I’d rather stay warm and huddled inside, not feeling like my face is about to freeze off. I’ve been trying to make the most out of this indoor time by developing some fun and delicious new recipes.
January is also the time of year that lots of football is being watched as we get closer to the Super Bowl. Those who know me know I really not into watching sports on the television, especially football. That is more Joel’s thing than mine! I do however, enjoy delicious game day snacks! Last year we threw a Super Bowl party and I made a few different items for everyone to snack on that were a hit.
So when I realized the Super Bowl was only a few short weeks away, I knew exactly what I wanted to make this year – buffalo chicken dip!
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Buffalo chicken is one of my favourite things. I could probably eat it every week! This buffalo chicken dip is super creamy, cheesy, spicy and loaded with flavour! It is the ultimate party appetizer for buffalo chicken lovers.
This is going to be my new go-to appetizer for parties, potlucks and more. The cheesy, creamy dip has everything you could want – the perfect amount of heat from the hot sauce, a delicious and creamy cheesiness and is perfectly scoopable for chips, carrot sticks and more!
The best part of this buffalo chicken dip (next to how delicious it is) is how easy it is to make! Simply mix the ingredients together in a bowl, top it with cheese, bake it and before you know it you have a delicious hot appetizer to be munching on!
What is in Buffalo Chicken Dip?
- Cream cheese
- Cooked chicken – cooked, shredded chicken is what you want! Use chicken leftovers, a rotisserie chicken, or cook a large chicken breast in advance for this recipe.
- White cheddar – an aged sharp white cheddar is best!
- Melted butter
- Ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing – use whichever you prefer!
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Buffalo sauce – I used Franks Red Hot Sauce, but feel free to use your favourite. If you like it spicier, add an extra 1/2 cup of sauce!
- Green onions
- Crumbled blue cheese (optional)
How to make Buffalo Chicken Dip
Making this dip is super easy! Once the cream cheese is softened to room temperature, mash it up in a large bowl with either a fork or sturdy wooden spoon. Stir in the chicken, half the cheddar, butter, ranch/blue cheese dressing, Greek yogurt/sour cream, buffalo sauce and half the green onions.
Once everything is combined, spread it into an oven safe baking dish, smoothing it out so it is evenly distributed. Top it with the remaining cheddar and the blue cheese crumbles. Next you just pop it into the oven at 350°C for 20-25 minutes until the edges have started to bubble. Turn on the broiler, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the cheese has browned slightly (watch closely so it does not burn!). Top it with the remaining green onions, and your buffalo chicken dip is ready to be devoured!
What can I serve with Buffalo Chicken Dip?
There are lots of choices when it comes to what to serve this hot party dip with. My favourites are kettle cooked chips, celery sticks and carrot sticks. You could also serve it with a big platter of other veggies, such as bell peppers, broccoli and cherry tomatoes along with the celery and carrots. Another option is tortilla chips. Having an assortment is a great idea as it lets everyone choose their favourite and dig in.
Can you reheat Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Yes, this dip reheats really nicely! You can reheat it in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or heat smaller servings in the microwave for 20-60 seconds (depending how large a serving). That is, if you even have leftovers!
Serve this hot appetizer up at your next party, and watch as every one digs in and enjoys!
If you love buffalo chicken, check out some of these other recipes!
If you make this buffalo chicken dip please let me know! You can leave a comment below, rate it, post on the Zest & Simmer Facebook page or share photos on Instagram with the hashtag #zestandsimmer. I am always thrilled to hear from you!
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese , softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 tbsp butter , melted
- 3 cups shredded white cheddar
- 1/2 cup blue cheese or ranch dressing
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce (I like Frank's Red Hot. Add an extra 1/2 cup for a spicier kick!)
- 3 green onions , chopped
- 2 tbsp crumbled blue cheese (optional)
- chips, celery sticks, carrot sticks for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°C.
- In a large mixing bowl mash up the cream cheese with a fork or sturdy wooden spoon. Add the chicken, butter, half of the white cheddar, blue cheese/ranch dressing, sour cream/Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, buffalo sauce and half of the chopped green onions to the bowl. Mix well, until it is thoroughly combined.
- Spread the buffalo chicken dip mixture into a baking dish. Top with remaining half of white cheddar and blue cheese crumbles (if desired).
- Bake buffalo chicken dip for 20-25 minutes. It should be bubbling around the edges. If cheese on top hasn't browned slightly, turn on the broiler for 2-3 minutes (watching carefully so it doesn't burn).
- Remove from oven and serve with chips, celery sticks, and/or carrot sticks. Best enjoyed while hot!