Blackberry Basil Brie Prosciutto Grilled Cheese – Taking the classic up a notch! Fresh blackberries smashed with basil, creamy brie and salty prosciutto come together for a fabulous sweet & savory grilled cheese sandwich.
Alright, let’s get one thing straight.
Fruit + cheese will forever be an amazing combination. Especially if said cheese happens to be brie cheese. I mean, there are so many other great cheese and fruit combo’s out there, like apple + cheddar – which I’ve got another post coming up for – but let’s be real. Brie is just the best with fruit, end of story.
If you like fruit and cheese this grilled cheese sandwich is for you. In my mind I have been calling it the “Triple B P Sandwich” as saying the entire name is just so long. I mean could I make a recipe name any longer? Probably, but it’s just ridiculous. However, I couldn’t not make the name this long because all the ingredients just contribute so much deliciousness to this sandwich that leaving one out of the name would be a crime.
This sandwich my new summer sandwich. I mean those fresh blackberries? So delish and such an awesome summer berry. Smashed up with some fresh basil from the garden, you’ve got yourself the beginnings of something tasty.It’s like a cheater version of jam. Then of course I added prosciutto, because a hit of something salty was required. Then the gooey creamy brie… um, hello perfection! I would totally insert the heart eyes emoji here if possible.
I have two basil plants growing this year. The first is your typical basil you normally see, but for some reason I always struggle growing this kind of basil. It goes to seed before I can stop it and next thing I know I have this scraggly plant where half the leaves are yellow. That or it just sort of doesn’t really grow. This year’s plant managed to survive the majority of summer but still, just wasn’t doing the best.
So I bought another basil plant as one does. And this one was a different variety, one that apparently doesn’t flower and just keeps growing and growing and growing. Which certainly seems to be the case as I now have a rather large plant even though its only been a few weeks. I can foresee some homemade pesto in my future…
Anyhow, I wanted to use what I could from the other basil plant, and it went to good use in this sandwich!
Also, there is just something absolutely dreamy about cheese dripping from a sandwich. Is it just me who thinks that? I mean, the more cheese the better. Give me ALL the cheese.
I think I will probably need to make again now, as staring at these pictures is making me HUNGRY. Lucky for me, there are still some blackberries in the fridge.
If you make this blackberry basil brie prosciutto grilled cheese please let me know! Leave a comment below, rate it, post on the Zest & Simmer Facebook page or share photos on Instagram using the hashtag #zestandsimmer. I’d love to see it and I am always thrilled to hear from you!
Pin it for later!
Blackberry Basil Brie Prosciutto Grilled Cheese
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter , softened
- 4 slices bread (sourdough or multigrain is suggested)
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 100 g brie cheese , sliced
- 3-4 slices prosciutto
- In a large bowl mash the blackberries with a fork, carefully as they will splatter. Stir in basil and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Over a clean surface, slather butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- On the non-buttered side of two of the slices spread the smashed blackberries. Then layer the brie cheese slices and prosciutto over top. Lay the non-butter side of the remaining two slices of bread over top.
- Place sandwich on heated skillet and grill each side for about 3 minutes each, or until the bread is crisped and golden brown and cheese has begun to melt. Cut in half and enjoy while hot.