Roasted Mushroom and Brie Soup – a rich and creamy bowl of delicious mushroom soup with the luxurious twist of brie cheese that will completely wow all who try it! Packed with earthy, savory roasted mushrooms this recipe will beat out canned cream of mushroom soup any day.
We’ve been having a lot of soup lately. It is just calling to me and I could easily have a bowl most days. I worry Joel might be getting a little bit tired of soup but…oh well. I’ll try to take it easy on the soup for a bit. But for now… SOUP! (Ok really, how many times can I say soup in a single paragraph???)
In my defense, winter has officially begun here in Winnipeg. Snow is on the ground and it looks like it will be here to stay for the next four or five months. Ugh. I had to bring out my winter jacket for the first time today to wear on my way to work. While I adore my winter jacket I was sorta hoping I wouldn’t have to wear it until closer to December. Don’t get me wrong, winter can be nice in some ways. I mean, the first snowfall is always pretty. Tobogganing and skating are fun but… I just dislike how cold it gets. And even with living here my entire life, -40°C weather is never fun. Let’s hope that it doesn’t get that cold for a while yet!
Benefit of colder weather: its perfectly excusable to snuggle up on my couch and start thinking about Christmas, or shall I say Christmas baking!!!!!!!
This roasted mushroom and brie soup is my newest obsession. A nice hot bowl of creamy mushroom soup is always good. But really, canned soup has nothing on this baby right here.
There are two things that make this dish (bowl?) outstanding. First off we roast the mushrooms prior to adding them into the pot. This brings out their beautiful earthy flavour. The second is the addition on rich, creamy, wonderful brie cheese near the end. Can you say absolute luxury?
You have a couple of options for the texture of this soup. You can do what I did, and only puree about half of it, which leaves some nice tender mushrooms chunks in it. Or you can puree it all to have a much smoother soup. It’s all up to your preference!
Now grab your spoon and dig into a bowl of this hearty soup, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it.
Let me know what you think!
If you try this recipe for roasted mushroom and brie soup please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, post on the Zest & Simmer Facebook page or share photos on Instagram using the hashtag #zestandsimmer. I’d love to see it and I always love hearing from you guys!
Roasted Mushroom and Brie Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs mushrooms (mix of cremini and/or white mushrooms works) , sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 oz brie cheese , rind removed and sliced into thin 1" wedges
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or whipping cream (35%)
- 1 pinch allspice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare a baking pan with parchment paper or foil. Toss sliced mushrooms in olive oil and then roast for 15-20 minutes (keeping an eye to not overcook them).
- In the meantime, melt the butter in a large pot on medium heat. Saute onion until tender, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and thyme leaves and allow to cook for 1 minute, stirring to keep garlic from scorching.
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute more. Deglaze the pan with white wine. Add broth and the mushrooms and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream and brie cheese and continue stirring until brie is completely melted. Add allspice, then salt and pepper to taste.
- For chunkier soup: remove half of the soup from the pot and add to a blender, blending until completely smooth. Return blended soup to pot, stirring to combine.For smoother soup: Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth. Alternatively you can remove all the soup from a pot and add to a regular blender and blending until completely smooth. You may have to do it in batches if you do this.