Easy Garlic Thyme Dinner Rolls – perfectly soft and fluffy dinner rolls that are ready within an hour! The delicious smell of garlic and freshly baked bread will fill your house as these bake. The recipe can easily be doubled up to make more rolls as needed.
There are not many things that are better than the smell of freshly baked bread. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love that smell. Take a deep breath of air in as these easy garlic thyme dinner rolls bake because they smell so. damn. good.
With the holidays coming up, a good dinner roll recipe is something wonderful to have in your back pocket for when you are having company over for dinner. Starting a holiday home-cooked meal with some homemade dinner rolls is always a must! Sure, store-bought rolls can be delicious but homemade rolls are going to impress your guests! I love the extra flavour you get from the garlic and thyme in these as well! No boring dinner rolls in my house. 🙂
Think making homemade bread is too much work? Think again! No need to worry about kneading the dough for these and they don’t requires hours to rise either. From start to finish you’ll have these on your plate within an hour! Working with yeast can be scary for a lot of people – it used to be scary for me too! It’s a lot easier than you think, trust me on this!
The perfect dinner rolls need to be a few things: they need to be soft, they need to be light, and they need to be warm. With these you get all three, and fresh bread right out of the oven is just divine!
These garlic thyme dinner rolls are wonderful with a schmear of butter on them. They are also absolutely perfect for dunking into soup or sopping up leftover gravy and sauce with. Which is a much more socially acceptable way to get those last bits of deliciousness without actually licking your plate…
I was looking at other dinner roll pictures on Pinterest after making these and I realized it looked most dinner roll recipes made 12+ rolls! I considered remaking the recipe but then I realized I like that this only makes 6 dinner rolls. Generally, I am just making enough food for the two of us here at home so I really do not need a recipe for more than 6! So this recipe is perfect for you if you are cooking for a small group, or want some freshly baked bread with your everyday dinners! That being said, it can easily be doubled up to accommodate cooking for a larger group of people – just use a larger baking dish.
Have a convinced you to make these yet? Be sure to include these Garlic Thyme dinner rolls to your upcoming holiday menu! Let’s get baking, friends!
Let me know what you think!
If you try this recipe for easy garlic thyme dinner rolls please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, post on the Zest & Simmer Facebook page or share photos on Instagram using the hashtag #zestandsimmer. I’d love to see it and I always love hearing from you guys!
Easy Garlic Thyme Dinner Rolls
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp warm water
- 1/6 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg , whisked & divided
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- In a mixing bowl combine water, oil, yeast and sugar. Let sit for 10 minutes. The yeast mixture should be foamy; if it is not, your yeast is dead and you will want to use some new yeast.
- Add 1 cup of the flour, plus salt and half of the whisked egg into the yeast mixture and stir until combined. Add remaining flour gradually along with the garlic and thyme and mix until the dough is a smooth ball.
- Shape dough into 6 round balls and place in an 9x9" baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest in a warm spot for 30 minutes.
- While dough is resting, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brush rolls with remaining whisked egg and place in oven. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve fresh and warm.