Mojito Sugar Cookies – the classic cocktail in cookie form! Made with fresh mint, lime zest and rum, these sugar cookies are perfectly soft and chewy, with a delicious taste of the tropics.
As September begins the days grow shorter, the weather starts to cool and I start to feel a bit sad that another summer is nearly over. They always fly by way too fast, and since our warmer weather was so delayed this year and it’s already getting chillier much earlier in the year than usual, it feels like summer of 2019 was extra short.
I need my sunshine, people. Sunshine, beaches, gardening and fresh summer produce. It is those hot days, sitting outdoors with a cold beverage in hand, surveying the beautiful greenery and flowers around me that I live for.
I’ve really enjoyed my garden this year, with my tomato plants growing so tall, that one is even taller than me. Most of my herbs have done wonderfully, with rosemary, dill, oregano, cilantro and more filling out the raised bed I put them in. My mint especially, grew larger than it ever has then me – it must have really liked the spot it was in! It got to a point where I was constantly trying to think of new creative ways to use it!
When you have a large batch of fresh mint, this is the recipe you want to make (aside from the drink, of course!). These mojito sugar cookies have such a fresh and zesty taste that is sure to tickle your tastebuds! The cookies are soft yet chewy, baked just to the point of cookie perfection. They are buttery and limey, with a hint of mint and a dash of rum. They really are like a mojito in cookie form!
It’s amazing how a few simple ingredients can go a long way to making the flavours shine. We’ve got some lime zest in these cookies, to really give us the fresh citrus taste the mojito is all about. Some fresh chopped mint also appears in this, though not so much that it is overpowering. You get just a slight hint of it, and it’s perfect. Then either rum or rum flavouring is added to give it that classic cocktail taste. Mmm, delicious.
I brought these mojito sugar cookies to work with me, as really there was no way I should be consuming 30 cookies in a short amount of time. It was necessary to share! I can honestly say they received rave reviews, with someone even calling them “magical”.
You may just want to make two batches of these, they are that good.
If you make these mojito sugar cookies please let me know! You can leave a comment below, rate it, post on the Zest & Simmer Facebook page or share photos on Instagram with the hashtag #zestandsimmer. I am always thrilled to hear from you!
Mojito Sugar Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter , softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp rum or rum extract
- 2 limes , zested
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp extra sugar for rolling
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in the egg, rum/rum extract, lime zest and chopped mint until fully combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients (I find in 1/3s works best), mixing until just combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper. Put the extra sugar for rolling in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Remove cookie dough from fridge. Roll into approximately 1 tbsp sized balls, and then roll in sugar to coat. Flatten balls gently with the bottom of a glass.
- Bake cookies for 11-12 minutes, until edges are just turning golden. Allow to cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!