I can’t wait to dig into these Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas while sipping on a giant margarita.
Seriously, I’m really excited over the fact that Cinco de Mayo falls on a Friday this year. No work for me the next day which means I can enjoy as many margaritas as I please! In my backyard, enjoying the sunshine we’re supposed to get.
I think you should probably do the same thing.
I mean, how delicious do these look?!
These enchiladas will make the perfect meal for Friday. They are filled with shredded chicken, white beans, corn and cheese and then smothered in salsa verde and more cheese. One of the cheeses I used was Bothwell Cheese Jalapeño Monterey Jack cheese which added the perfect fiery kick to these! If it is available where you are, I highly recommend trying it! (This is not a sponsored post or ad, I just really enjoy their cheese, especially as it is made right here in Manitoba!)
These come together pretty quickly too, with dinner ready in just over 30 minutes! I like to mix all the fillings together prior to assembling enchiladas as it seems to help save on time. Quicker assembly = food in your mouth sooner.
Also look at all that GREEN! I like to think that the more green my food is, the healthier it must be. Even if it is smothered in a lot of cheese.
A girl can dream right?
I’m thinking I will pair this meal with these Mojito Margaritas from How Sweet It Is because they are also green so that means I must be eating extra healthy, right?
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, post on the Zest & Simmer Facebook page or share photos on Instagram using the hashtag #zestandsimmer. I’d love to see it!
Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
prep time: 15 mintues
cook time: 20 minutes
servings: 8 enchiladas
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 19 oz (540 ml) can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 12 oz (341 ml) can corn
- 1 4.5 oz can chopped green chilies
- 3 cups salsa verde (tomatillo salsa), separated
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large wheat or corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional: fresh cilantro, green onions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat a large pan on medium heat. In the pan, mix together chicken, beans, corn, and chilies, sauteing for 5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of salsa verde and cheddar, mixing thoroughly until cheese has melted.Remove from heat.
- In the bottom of a 13″x9″ baking dish, add 1 cup of the salsa verde, spreading evenly.
- Place the chicken filling on the tortilla lengthwise and roll up, placing in the baking dish. It works best if you place them ‘seam’ side down so that they hold together better. Repeat for remaining tortillas.
- Pour remaining cup of salsa over the enchiladas and then top with the Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling. If your oven runs hot, you may want to check it at 15 minutes so that you don’t overcook it.
- Remove, let cool slightly before garnishing with cilantro and green onions. Serve, and enjoy!