Three Cheese Pizza with Prosciutto, Sun Dried Tomatoes and Arugula – Pizza night just got tastier! An easy 15 minute homemade dough, plenty of cheese, prosciutto, sun dried tomatoes and arugula come together for the ultimate pizza.
Alright, I’ve had a few healthy recipes lately. It’s time to change things up…
Over the last year I have been experimenting with homemade pizza dough. I had a few criteria – it needed to be quick (for those weeknight dinners), it needed to be easy, and it needed to be no knead. I’ll admit I struggled at first. While the dough I would make tasted good, I always think I needed MORE, underestimating how much it would actually puff up in the oven while cooking. I would end up with pizzas that were more dough than anything else!
Finally, I managed to find one that worked well for me, which is what we have here. I am happy to now have a reliable pizza dough recipe at my fingertips to use going forward! And it truly is easy you guys – it only takes 15 minutes to whip up. That is less time than it takes to get pizza delivered!
That being said, if you would rather use a store bought crust, that’s perfectly okay! I do it from time to time myself. However, I do encourage you to give this a go, because there is just something special about homemade dough. And it truly is easy! I promise!
Are you a pizza traditionalist, or do you like branching out and trying a variety of toppings on yours? I am definitely the later, and I love playing around with variations to see what I can come up with. I think pizza is definitely one of my favourite foods, and I think the reason why I can have it over and over again is because there is just so much variety. Pepperoni one night, pesto chicken another time, Mediterranean veggie the next time after that… really, the options are endless! As long as I am not having the same one from the same pizza place each time, I am fine with it.
If you’re ready to try a new spin on pizza, then this recipe is the one for you!
This pizza came out of a spur of a moment decision. I was actually thinking of making something else entirely for dinner the night this recipe was born. Suddenly though, I had the idea that I wanted pizza that day. And I wanted it to have three cheeses. If you didn’t already know, I am obsessed with cheese.
This three cheese pizza is truly something else. The prosciutto crisps up nicely in the oven, the sun dried tomatoes have a lovely intense flavour and the arugula tossed on after the pizza bakes adds a nice bit of freshness. The three cheeses work so perfectly with the flavours, and the bit of chili flakes adds a tiny bit of heat to spice things up.
You don’t want to miss out on this gourmet and wonderfully flavourful pizza, so make this for your next pizza night!
If you try this recipe for Three Cheese Pizza with Prosciutto, Sun Dried Tomatoes and Arugula please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, post on the Zest & Simmer Facebook page or share photos on Instagram using the hashtag #zestandsimmer. I’d love to see it and I always love hearing from you guys!
Pin it for later!
Three Cheese Pizza with Prosciutto, Sun Dried Tomatoes and Arugula
For the Dough:
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour , plus extra for dusting
For the Pizza:
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes , sliced
- 4-6 slices prosciutto , torn
- 1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 3/4 cup arugula
For the Dough:
- In a large bowl, mix together the yeast, sugar and hot water. Let stand for 3 minutes until it begins to foam.
- Add salt and olive oil to yeast mixture, then stir in 2 cups of the flour. I use my hands for this, but you can also use a sturdy spoon. If the dough is still too wet, add the remaining flour 1/8 cup at a time, mixing between each addition. You want the dough to pull itself into a ball as you stir but should still remain slightly stick to the touch. If the dough ends up too dry, add a small splash of water and work the liquid into the dough.
- Cover the dough with a clean tea towel and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface, dust the top with flour and using a rolling pin, roll into preferred shape. I rolled mine into a rectangle slightly smaller than the size of my baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place pizza on parchment paper covered baking pan and set aside until ready to top with sauce, cheese and toppings.
For the Pizza:
- Spread pizza sauce evenly over dough, leaving space at the edge to be the crust. Top with mozzarella, feta, and parmesan, then spread the sun dried tomatoes and prosciutto over top. Sprinkle with chili flakes and oregano.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly and crust has lightly browned. Remove and top with arugula. You can also top with more parmesan and chili flakes if desired. Slice and serve immediately.