Savory Herb and Cheddar Squash Bread – this is the perfect way to use up all that summer squash! With cheddar, garlic, green onions and dill mixed into the batter this loaf is hard one to resist.
I know, I know. It’s been forever and a day since I last posted a recipe, or so it feels that way. July was a crazy busy month and to be honest I am hoping August just slooows down so that I can enjoy the last few weeks of summer at a calmer pace.
I doubt that will happen though.
Not to say the busyness in July wasn’t a ton of fun. I spent the tail end of it in Montreal where I got to visit with my brother, sight see and eat tons of delicious food. I walked something like 81 kms in five and a half days, so I think it’s fair to say I deserved all the treats I consumed while there! I’ve been posting some of the food I ate on my instagram page so you can check that out if you are interested!
It’s taken me a week to feel like I’m getting back into the swing of things, I will say that. Going back to work after a vacation is hard! Like what, I have to get up at 6:15 a.m. again? I’m not a morning person so a lot more coffee is being consumed…
I’ve finally got a new recipe for you, so let’s celebrate that! This savory herb and cheddar squash bread is a great recipe to use up any summer squash you may have laying around, be it zucchini, pattypan, or as I used, magda squash (also known as cousa from what I’ve found on google). They all should work well!
You may have had zucchini bread before, but likely it was a sweeter one similar to banana bread. I was in the mood for a savory bread when I set out to make this, so savory it became! We’ve got garlic, green onions, dill and cheddar in this loaf and it sure is tasty. You can enjoy it as a snack, or perhaps have it with dinner. I paired mine with a bowl of cauliflower soup and really enjoyed it that way.
I’m a fan of simple recipes and this definitely is one of those. Aside from the cook time, it shouldn’t take you long to mix up and you’ll be enjoying fresh bread in just over an hour! You’ll want to enjoy a piece of it while still warm, it is heavenly! And trust me, this bread will be gobbled down quick! In less than 24 hours I only have a couple slice left!
If you try this recipe for savory herb and cheddar squash bread please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, post on the Zest & Simmer Facebook page or share photos on Instagram using the hashtag #zestandsimmer. I’d love to see it and love hearing from you guys!
Savory Herb and Cheddar Squash Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded summer squash (zucchini, magdam pattypan, etc)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped green onion
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter , melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a regular size loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and garlic powder. Add in the shredded squash, cheddar cheese, green onions and dill, stirring to fully combine.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, mix together the eggs, buttermilk and butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mix in the large bowl and stir together until just combined.
- Spoon batter into loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.