Rhubarb Banana Bread with Cardamom Glaze – this banana bread is moist, sweet with a hint of tartness and the cardamom glaze really makes this one stand out in a crowd! This is a perfect way to use up your remaining rhubarb.
How has your summer been so far? July is here and finally we are getting some hot weather again which makes me super happy. I am hoping that soon I will be able to have a beach day, because what is summer without a trip to the beach?
I feel like rhubarb season only just begun here in Manitoba, but apparently in other areas of the continent it is pretty much over. It seems crazy to me and I feel so behind sometimes because of it! However, at least rhubarb is one of those things that everyone always seems to have an abundance of, and it freezes well too so can be enjoyed any time of the year. So if you’ve got some rhubarb left that you have been wondering what to do with, this rhubarb banana bread is for you!
This was the first time I’ve ever paired rhubarb with bananas, and I have to say it is pretty delicious. This is a nice sweet loaf with hints of tartness, and I hate using this word, but this loaf is moist (sorry). The rhubarb definitely makes this banana bread stand out from the crowd, and the cardamom glaze doesn’t hurt either. I must admit this is almost more of a cake than a loaf, but that still didn’t stop me from enjoying a slice or two of this for breakfast. And for a snack. Dessert too!
This rhubarb banana bread is the perfect way to finish off the rhubarb season, so go on my friends and make this rhubarb banana bread while you can!
If you try this recipe for rhubarb banana bread with cardamom glaze please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, post on the Zest & Simmer Facebook page or share photos on Instagram using the hashtag #zestandsimmer. I’d love to see it and love hearing from you guys!
Rhubarb Banana Bread with Cardamom Glaze
For the bread:
- 2 cups rhubarb , cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup white granulated sugar , divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3 very ripe bananas , mashed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the glaze:
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
For the bread:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a loaf pan, setting aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the rhubarb with 1/2 cup of the sugar, coating evenly. Set aside.
- In another medium sized bowl,mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and remaining 1/2 cup sugar together. Beat in the eggs, then mashed bananas, sour cream and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients until fully mixed together, then fold in the rhubarb.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, or until when inserting a toothpick it comes out clean.
For the glaze:
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the icing sugar, milk and cardamom.
- Allow bread to cool for at least 20 minutes prior to pouring glaze over top. Slice and serve.