I’ve made something magical for you! Unicorn Ice Cream – can it get any more fun!?
Have you ever seen a more majestic dessert? From unicorn bark, to unicorn cakes and to unicorn drinks, unicorns sure are having their moment. With lots of fun colours, sparkles, and sprinkles I can see why so many are delighted by the unicorn craze. Scrolling through Pinterest and Instagram I’ve seen many versions of magical treats and it always puts a smile on my face. I just had to make my own version of something!
I think the reason why I like the trend so much is that its sort of nostalgic. Growing up there was Lisa Frank everything and the magical mix of colours in all this unicorn food must remind me of that! Such fun stuff we had in the nineties.
It is almost June (can you believe it?!) so I figured an ice cream recipe to start your summer off would be the perfect thing! I have a feeling that as the weather gets hotter and hotter there’s gonna be a whole lot more ice cream happening ’round here. Sorry, diet.
Since I made this stuff I have been having IDEAS GALORE running through my mind of other fun ice cream recipes I can make. Pretty soon my freezer is going to be full of the stuff….but that’s not really a problem, because I may just be an ice cream-aholic. Yup, that’s a thing.
I have excellent news for you – this is a no-churn recipe which means you can easily make this at home even if you don’t own an ice cream maker! It also only requires a few ingredients and can easily be customized to your preferences. I made my ice cream as a classic vanilla, but you could easily switch it up using almond extract, coconut extract, or any other flavour you desire.
You can also switch out the colours to your preferences. For mine I did about 13-15 drops of food colouring for each colour, but feel free to add more or less based on the intensity you want of these hues. If you use the same neon ones I did you really could make this ice cream super bright if you wanted!
Let’s talk sprinkles! I used three types here – rainbow sprinkles, silver ball sprinkles, and blue sugar sprinkles. This is just what I happened to have on hand and thought would be perfect for this magical unicorn ice cream. Play around with different sprinkles and see what you can come up with! I definitely recommend rainbow sprinkles though.
So easy! So fun! Why aren’t you making this yet?!
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, post on the Zest & Simmer Facebook page or share photos on Instagram using the hashtag #zestandsimmer. I’d love to see it!
Unicorn Ice Cream
yield: 1 quart
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- 13-15 drops neon blue food colouring
- 13-15 drops neon pink food colouring
- 13-15 drops neon purple food colouring
- Rainbow sprinkles
- In a large bowl or stand mixer whip the whipping cream and vanilla together for approximately 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk until combined.
- Separate mixture evenly into three bowls. Add neon blue food colouring to one of the bowls, mixing well. Repeat in other bowls with other colours.
- In a loaf pan, spoon in mixtures, alternating spoonfuls of colour.
- Once all of the mixture is in the loaf pan, run a knife through the mixture a few times, swirling. Be careful not to do this too much or colours will muddy/blend together into one.
- Freeze for 5-6 hours or overnight until frozen.