Pineapple Fried Rice – A delicious twist on the usual fried rice! This is an easy vegetarian meal or side dish that is loaded with flavour.
I am so excited to be sharing this recipe with you guys! I think it may be one of my most loved meals I’ve had recently. It is definitely one I went back for seconds of! I think this may partially be because of the flavour from the sesame oil, which I’ve been all about lately.
And the pineapple. Definitely the pineapple.
The pineapple is what makes this recipe! We’ve discussed before how I love the sweet + savory/sweet + salty combinations in other recipe posts (see here, here and here) and this recipe plays on that as well. I don’t think I’ll ever stop loving that mix of tastes, so I’ll probably say this again and again!
Pineapple is one of my favourite things to add to otherwise savory dishes. I’ve thrown it into stir-fries, topped burgers with it, and had it in curries. One of our friends thought it sounded so weird once when I was making spicy chicken burgers with pineapple but once he had a bite he was convinced. So if you haven’t tried it yet in savory dishes, here is your opportunity!
This pineapple fried rice can easily be a meal on it’s own if you are having a vegetarian dinner night. It’s filling, has veggies, and also protein from the eggs. It can also be a side, or accompanied by some other sort of protein if you wish. In fact, when I made this I served it with shrimp. The shrimp I made with this is another amazing recipe that I will be sharing with you later this week so be sure to check back so as to not miss out! Those shrimp will change your life.
This recipe makes a lot of fried rice. We both had large servings for dinner and there was still plenty for leftovers the next day. I generally like to cook enough at dinner in order to have those leftovers for lunch, but if you don’t want as much just half the recipe.
I hope you enjoy this pineapple fried rice as much as I did!
If you try this recipe for pineapple fried rice please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, post on the Zest & Simmer Facebook page or share photos on Instagram using the hashtag #zestandsimmer. I’d love to see it and love hearing from you guys!
Pineapple Fried Rice
For the sauce:
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For the rice:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil , divided
- 3 eggs , beaten
- 1 white or yellow onion , diced
- 1 red bell pepper , diced
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 cups cooked rice (see note)
- 1/3 cup green onion , diced
- 1 14 oz can pineapple chunks , drained
- Mix together all ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- In a large wok or pan, heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Place an empty plate nearby. Pour in the eggs and cok, stirring frequently until the eggs are scrambled and cooked, about 1 minute. Transfer the eggs to the nearby plate and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in the same pan and add in the diced onion and red pepper. Cook, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes until the onion are transparent. Then add in the mixed vegetables and stir for 1 minute more.
- Stir in the cooked rice and eggs and then pour the sauce over the entire pan, stirring to combine and distribute sauce throughout.
- Gently mix in the pineapple and green onions. Serve and enjoy!