Peppermint Mocha Cheesecake Pancakes – decadent and festive, these pancakes are the perfect breakfast for your holiday mornings! Fluffy mocha pancakes topped with candy cane cheesecake frosting are sure to satisfy any sweet tooth and bring on the holiday cheer.
It’s December 1st which means Christmas is only a little over 3 weeks away!. Are you prepared? I’m certainly not! I never am at this point of the year if we are being honest. Usually I don’t start shopping for gifts until sometime in December… even to the point of still shopping on Christmas Eve some years! Yup, I’m one of those. However, I at least don’t have many people to buy for, so at least that reduces the craziness somewhat.
One thing I have been doing though, is thinking up and creating some fun holiday dishes. Like these peppermint mocha cheesecake pancakes!
The other day when I posted the recipe for these Candy Cane Oreo Cookies I mentioned how I kept dreaming up peppermint holiday recipes. This is another one of those! If you love the Starbucks Peppermint Mocha, you are going to love these pancakes. (You will also probably love the peppermint mocha pavlova I made last year!)
A sweet Christmas morning breakfast
Now this was a fun breakfast! Sweet and festive, these pancakes are wonderful to celebrate with on Christmas morning. Or any winter morning for that matter. But especially Christmas morning, because when you’re celebrating you may as well make every meal extra festive!
These peppermint mocha cheesecake pancakes are the sweetest way to do so. The pancakes themselves get their mocha taste from some ground up instant coffee. I absolutely love that mocha taste it adds to these.
Making this for young kids? You may wan’t to leave out the ground coffee and add an extra tablespoon of cocoa powder instead. Unless you happen to not mind watching the kids bouncing off the walls, hyped up on coffee and sugar and presents!
But for the adults? Definitely include the coffee – it really brings all the flavours up a notch! Plus they may need that extra caffeine if a little too much eggnog was enjoyed on Christmas Eve. 😉
Now the real holiday fun of these pancakes comes from the candy cane cheesecake topping. It was definitely our favourite part of these, and I can’t lie – I licked the bowl clean!
You can be creative with the candy cane cheesecake topping… either dollop a bunch on top of the pancake stack, or layer it in between the pancakes for some extra creaminess. Either way, you can’t go wrong!
Serve it all up with some crushed candy cane sprinkled on top, and that is how you do a holiday breakfast.
If you make these Peppermint Mocha Cheesecake Pancakes please let me know! You can leave a comment below, rate it, post on the Zest & Simmer Facebook page or share photos on Instagram using the hashtag #zestandsimmer. I’d love to see it and I am always thrilled to hear from you!
Pin it for later!
Peppermint Mocha Cheesecake Pancakes
For the Pancakes:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp instant coffee (ground up if not already)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter , melted
- 1 cup chocolate chips
For the Cheesecake Topping:
- 4 oz cream cheese , softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened to room tempterature
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 3 mini candy canes, crushed (or 1 regular)
- optional: additional crushed candy cane for garnish
For the Pancakes:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, instant coffee, cocoa, sugar and salt.
- Add in egg, milk and butter and beat with an electric beater until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Heat skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Scoop about 1/4 cup servings of pancake batter onto the pan, and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side. Transfer cooked pancakes onto a large plate, keeping warm in the oven. Repeat process until all batter is used.
For the Cheesecake Topping:
- In a mixing bowl, with an electric mixer cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add in powdered sugar, milk, peppermint extract, and crushed candy canes, beating until thoroughly combined. Mixture should be a thick frosting-like consistency.
- Dollop/spread topping onto pancakes, adding additional crushed candy cane as garnish if desired. Servile while warm.