Orange Ginger Cookies – a zesty twist on a classic! These warmly spiced cookies include molasses, ginger and orange zest and are soft and chewy. Perfect for a Christmas cookie tray!
Well, here are we on Christmas Eve, and I am only just now sharing another cookie recipe. These last few weeks have been crazy busy, and so I am looking forward to the quieter days ahead.
One of my favourite things about this time of year is all of the delicious holiday baking! Basically, I love any excuse to indulge my sweet tooth. There are just so many Christmas cookie recipes I want to make every year! I always love sticking to some of my time-honoured favourites, but enjoy trying new ones each year too.
This year, I knew I wanted to try some ginger cookies but with a fresh twist – orange zest! I prefer a softer, chewier cookie too over a crisp ginger snap, and these cookies texture came out perfectly. I’m so excited to be sharing this new recipe with you!
Tips for making Orange Ginger Cookies
These cookies are simple to make but I do have some tips to share to ensure they turn out perfectly!
- Chill the dough for at least two hours, or overnight. If the dough isn’t chilled the cookies with flatten out and spread too much while baking.
- Don’t roll too big of cookie dough balls for baking. They do spread out while baking and if you make them too big, they’ll end up spreading into one another.
- Use high quality spices if you can. Spices are what gives this cookie its flavour, so you want to use high quality spices for a better taste!
If you’re looking for more Christmas cookie or holiday baking recipes, be sure to check out these recipes:
- Eggnog Cheesecake Thumbprint Cookies
- Chocolate Peppermint Marshmallow Clusters
- The Best Ever Rum Balls
- Candy Cane Oreo Cookies
- Peppermint Mocha Pavlova
- Mini Butter Tart Cheesecakes
- Mini Peppermint Mocha Cheesecakes
Orange Ginger Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar for rolling
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the melted butter, 1 cup of sugar, and egg until smooth.
- Stir in molasses, vanilla extract and the orange zest.
- In another medium sized bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. Cover, and chill dough for at least 2 hours, or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll generous tablespoons of dough into a ball, approximately the size of a ping pong ball. Roll dough balls in remaining sugar. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.