Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa Tacos – Taco Tuesday just got better! This recipe for beef barbacoa has tons of flavour and makes those weeknight dinners simple through cooking with the Instant Pot. Not only is this easy to make, it’s perfect for leftovers and you can use the beef in so many different ways – quesadillas, nachos, burritos and the list goes on!
Who here has joined the Instant Pot fan club? Well, I definitely have – I am absolutely in love with mine! Honestly, I didn’t think I would love it as much as I do. I mean, I knew I would like it and find it useful, but I am quite possibly obsessed with the thing now.
Why? It really is a one pot does all machine. I can saute things right in it, cook a roast in way less time than it would take in the oven, it results in the most tender, fall apart meat, and it can still be used as a slow cooker! It does so much and has usually resulted in less dishes too which just makes this gadget extra awesome!
I’ll admit, I was scared of the thing at first. I was worried I would cause an explosion of some sort by not using it properly. But really, just carefully read the manual, follow the safety precautions (it also has its only safety measures built in), and you’ll be fine!
I love how hands off I can be with the Instant Pot. Once it is sealed and cooking, I can clean up the kitchen, or go sit down and relax if I wish. If you’ve been considering buying one, I highly recommend it!
Like I said I love how hands off using this can be. And with this Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa Tacos recipe you can spend less time cooking and more time drinking margaritas this Cinco de Mayo! Lets face it, going out for food and drinks isn’t always cheap so quite often making your meal (and drinks!) at home is the cheaper option. And with a delicious meal like this you definitely won’t regret it!
It’s so, so easy you guys! You blend up the sauce, sear the beef, combine the two together and then pressure cook for about an hour. Once that’s done all you gotta do is shred the beef and then assemble the tacos. Whether its Cinco de Mayo or Taco Tuesday you are celebrating, these are perfect for any time!
This barbacoa beef has a nice little spicy kick to it, which we love. However, if you are sensitive to spice you may want to use 1 or 2 less chipotle peppers.
Don’t feel like tacos? There are so many different ways you can use this barbacoa! Here are a few other ideas:
- Burrito Bowls
We used the leftovers for two more meals and loved how we got to enjoy the great flavour a few different ways. Since there was so much we felt like it was great value for our money too, making this a very budget friendly meal!
Is anyone else happy that Cinco de Mayo falls on a Saturday this year? I won’t be feeling tired from the long workweek like I do on Friday nights, and because it’s the weekend its okay if I indulge in a margarita or two. 😉 Speaking of which, while I haven’t gotten around in creating any margarita recipes myself for the blog, here are a few awesome looking ones from some of my blogger friends!
- This Frozen Peach Margarita from gives off summery vibes and looks ultra refreshing!
- Made with fresh watermelon, this Spicy Watermelon Jalapeño Margarita is a little bit sweet and a little bit spicy!
- How about this Frozen Strawberry Mango Margarita if you’re feeling like a fruity, slushy, delicious drink!
- For something citrusy, savory and even a little bit good for you, these Green Jalapeño Margaritas are where its at!
- These tangy Pineapple Shrub Margaritas are a great way to shake up your classic margarita!
- These Pink Grapefruit Margaritas with Ginger Simple Syrup are all kinds of tasty fun!
Don’t all of these margaritas look so tasty?! I’m going to need to make them all!!!
With such a delicious, flavourful and easy meal you are going to find yourself coming back to this recipe again and again. We sure will be!
If you make these instant pot beef barbacoa tacos please let me know! Leave a comment below, rate it, post on the Zest & Simmer Facebook page or share photos on Instagram using the hashtag #zestandsimmer. I’d love to see it and I am always thrilled to hear from you!
Pin it for later!
Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa Tacos
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
- 3 chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 yellow onion , roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2-3 lb beef roast , cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 medium soft flour tortillas
- optional: cilantro, onion, salsa, sour cream, avocado for serving
- In a blender add the garlic, green chilies, chipotles, onion, lime juice, beef stock, cumin, oregano, cloves, salt and pepper. Blend for 20-30 seconds and set aside.
- On the Instant Pot press the "Saute" setting and add the oil. Once the oil is heated and shimmering add the beef roast chunks and sear on all sides, turning every minute or so. Press "Cancel" to turn off the heat.
- Pour in the blended sauce and add the bay leaves, tossing to coat the meat. Securely close the lid of the Instant Pot and set the vent to "Sealing".
- Press the "Manual" button, ensuring the setting is on Medium and then adjust the +/- buttons until the time is set for 60 minutes. Cook.
- Once the timer goes off, carefully turn the vent to "Venting" for quick release of pressure. Wait until all the steam is released and the valve is dropped before opening the Instant Pot. Remove lid.
- Discard bay leaves, and then using two forks shred the beef. Toss the shredded beef in the sauce allowing them to soak it up.
- Scoop beef into tortillas. Top with desired toppings and serve immediately.
- Burrito Bowls