Earl Grey and Lemon Muffins – the rich aroma of Earl Grey tea leaves and the refreshing flavor of lemon makes these muffins a delightful treat, perfect for a quick breakfast or a midday snack.
So here it is – the first recipe to be posted on this little site.
The first time I ever tried anything Earl Grey flavoured was back when I was in high school. I found a recipe somewhere (I wish I could remember where!) for Earl Grey cupcakes that was topped with a beautiful lemon buttercream. I don’t think I had ever even sipped on Earl Grey tea at that point, but it sounded tasty and unique so I tried it out. To put it simply, it was amazing.
Since then, I haven’t looked back.
I see something with Earl Grey in the name and I have to try it. There’s almost no stopping me. I am pretty much obsessed with drinking London Fog’s, which for whatever reason I didn’t even know existed until last year. How did I live?!
I don’t know exactly what it is I love so much about earl grey, though perhaps it’s the hint of floral flavour. I’m a sucker for floral flavoured food – I’ll go nuts for anything that tastes of lavender, hibiscus, or rose as well.
These Earl Grey and Lemon Muffins came about because I was thinking I should stop purchasing a snack all the time on workdays when I become suddenly ravenous at 10 am (even though I do have a healthy breakfast every morning). I wanted something tasty, yet not so heavy that it would ruin my appetite for lunch.
Already knowing that I liked the earl grey and lemon combo, I decided to try and make this into a muffin. Best. Idea. Ever. (I’m probably going to say this about a lot of things. Sorry.)
I’ve used vanilla Greek yogurt in this recipe but plain Greek yogurt would work as well. Including this helps give these muffins a better consistency. I also suggest using a 2% fat variety.
These muffins are great on their own but I imagine they would also be great with a schmear of butter or jam. If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, post on the Zest & Simmer Facebook page and share photos on Instagram using the hashtag #zestandsimmer. I’d love to see it!
Earl Grey and Lemon Muffins
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (about 1/2 large lemon)
- 3 bags Earl Grey tea , cut open
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease muffin pan with cooking spray or butter and set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the flour, lemon zest, tea leaves, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in egg until well combined. Add vanilla extract and Greek yogurt and mix at low speed to gently incorporate. Add reserved flour mixture and continue mixing at a low speed until just combined.
- Divide muffin batter evenly among prepared cups.Transfer to preheated oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean and muffins are light golden on top.
- Cool in pan or on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
So tasty I had to take a bite mid photo session!